LGBTQ+ patients face very significant challenges in healthcare: 56% of lesbian, gay, and bisexual people report experiences of serious discrimination in healthcare, while 70% of transgender people report serious discrimination. In response, CMS and The Joint Commission have issued requirements for LGBTQ+ equity and inclusion, and expert recommendations have now emerged for LGBTQ+ patient-centered care.
The HEI enables healthcare organizations to assess their own policies and practices vis-à-vis these requirements and recommendations, and equips them with the training and resources they need to remedy gaps. It also enables organizations to receive public recognition for their commitment to equity and inclusion.
Hundreds of healthcare organizations nationwide have participated in the HEI to:
- Increase patient safety and satisfaction
- Comply with CMS and Joint Commission requirements
- Minimize risk and maximize quality
- Enhance their reputation for equity and inclusion
And HEI participants enjoy these unique benefits:
- Access to free, expert online training for staff at all levels
- Customized analysis of potential gaps, with resources for addressing them
- Public recognition for their commitment to equity and inclusion
- Tools for outreach to LGBTQ+ community members