This section is designed to familiarize an organization with best practices, from The Joint Commission and other sources, for providing patients the opportunity to be identified as LGBTQ in health records, if they so wish. Adding LGBTQ self-identification options to an electronic health record system is a significant step a facility can take to help end LGBTQ health disparities with LGBTQ self-identification options in a facility's electronic health records.
To receive credit in the HEI:
This subsection of the Patient Services and Support Criteria includes 10 of the 26 scored best practices.
Scored best practices include:
Collecting information about sexual orientation and gender identity through the following:
- Electronic health record (EHR) system offers explicit options to capture patient’s current gender identity—when it differs from the patient’s sex assigned at birth.
- A two-question process is used to collect gender identity information (i.e. first asking current gender identity and subsequently asking sex assigned at birth)
- Staff Training is provided specifically about how to collect and record gender identity data in facility’s EHR system
- EHR system captures the patient’s pronouns in use AND prominently displays these pronouns in the banner or a pop-up easily accessible for front line staff and providers
- EHR system captures the patient’s name in use if it differs from their legal name AND prominently displays this name in the banner or a pop-up easily accessible for front line staff and providers
- EHR system offers an explicit way to capture a patient’s organ inventory
- EHR system offers explicit options for capturing a patient’s sexual orientation if they choose to provide it
- Staff Training is provided specifically outlining LGBTQ status as confidential patient information in accordance with HIPAA protections
Providing LGBTQ family inclusive health records with:
- EHR system offers explicit options for recording a patient’s parents are inclusive of same-sex parents and other diverse families
- EHR system offers explicit options for recording relationship status with an un-married partner