To receive credit in the CEI, a company must:
- Upload a copy of a summary plan description (or summary material modification) that explicitly affirms coverage of transition-related care.
- A summary plan description is a document that tells the plan participant (employee) that their specific plan provides and how it operates. For self-insured plan sponsors (employers), this document is unique to the organization.
- Covered benefits must include
- Mental health counseling
- Hormone replacement therapy
- Routine doctor’s visits and lab testing
- Surgical procedures
- Paid short-term leave (whether employer
provided or employer purchased)
- Dana-Farber Cancer Institute's plan through Harvard Pilgrim Healthcare outlines the covered health services for transgender employees, along with other important information about obtaining coverage.
- UNC Health's plan details the different treatments for gender dysphoria that are covered by their plan.
Note: In order to receive credit, your company MUST submit a plan-specific document (such as a summary plan description, summary material modification, benefits summary, schedule of benefits, etc.) that affirms coverage of transition-related care. A clinical policy alone cannot be accepted for credit.