Implementing a client non-discrimination policy inclusive of the LGBTQ community is one of the first steps to welcoming and affirming LGBTQ prospective foster and adoptive parents. These policies must include the terms “sexual orientation,” “gender identity," and "gender expression.”
To ensure transparency for both clients and staff, these policies should be written and recorded within the agency’s operation manual or other relevant documentation and be shared with clients and staff members on agency websites, brochures, and lobby areas, etc.
Sample Policy Language:
- Adoptions From The Heart, Wynnewood, PA, "Civil Rights Compliance Employee Awareness" Notice for Employees
- This employee notice includes information on the agency's client and employment non-discrimination policies, both of which include sexual orientation, gender identity and gender expression.
- Children's Home + Aid, Chicago, IL, “Client Rights & Responsibilities Statement”
- Children’s Home + Aid recognizes, respects, promotes and celebrates the value of cultural diversity and will ensure that your ethnic or cultural customs, practices, and beliefs, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, disability, and/or community differences will be respected by agency staff.
- New Jersey Dept. of Children and Families, Division of Child Protection and Permanency, Trenton, NJ, “Be a Foster Parent”
- The Division will not preclude a person from being a foster parent based solely on their culture, religion, race, ethnicity, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or gender expression, affectional orientation, or marital/civil union or domestic partnership status.
- Project Patchwork, St. Petersburg, FL, “Our Adoption Philosophy”
- Project Patchwork serves families regardless of race, ethnicity, religion, gender, age, national origin, disability (including HIV status), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, family responsibilities, marital status, or other unlawful factors.
- Your Adoptive Family, Vashon, WA, “Client Non-Discrimination Clause”
- Your Adoptive Family does not permit, condone or tolerate discrimination in any form including but not limited to:
- Sex or gender
- Sexual orientation
- Gender Identity or gender expression
- Racial, ethnic or national origin
- Skin color
- Marital Status
- Religious affiliations or belief
- Physical or mental disability or functional limitation
- Military service or lack of military service
- Citizenship status